House of the Scorpion is a fictional story about a kid named Matteo Alacran or "Matt". House of the Scorpion starts at the birth of Matt. He was created in a laboratory and developed in the stomach of a cow with a few other babies but unlike the others, the injections that are designed to make the babies unintelligent we're not intended for him. Nor were they used on the other Matteo Alacrans; as weird as that may sound.The book starts out in Matt's youth. In addition to his unusual birth, Matt lived a very different life from other children. For example, Matt is being raised to stay in a house all day and to be taken care of by a women named Celia. When When Celia would go to work, he was to remain in the house alone and entertain himself until she returned. The house that Matt stayed in was as small house in a poppy field on the land of an owner of a really big amount of property. Which is where Celia works at. One day, Celia went to work and Matt was in the house and he decided to go to the window and inspect a noise outside. The noise was two kids that fled the scene when they spotted Matt in the window. They were named Emilia and Steven and they lived in the Big house where Celia worked. One day when the two respond with the a little girl named Maria, she got upset and began to cry. Which caused Matt to make a heroic move and break out of the house to get to them. The children take Matt to the Big house and when Stephen's father sees Matt, he refers to him as an animal and reveals to the children that Matt is a clone. When reading this book i had many questions. First off, why was Matt created in a lab and why was he any different than the others that were created there. Second, why did the lady in the lab say "Those injections aren't used on any of the Matteo Alacrans"? Why were there more Matteo Alacrans? The reason for Matt's creation has yet to be announced. The fact that there were more of him before creates a really eerie feeling for me. I feel as though him and Celia have a mother and soon relationship even though Celia is not his biological mother and it is just her job to be his caretaker. I am pretty eager to find out what is the deal behind this whole situation with Matt and the big house.
What kind of feeling does this book give off?
What do you think the deal is with everyone in the book?
What do you think is Matt's Purpose as a clone a small isolated house?

Hi Hershell, This book sounds very interesting. Almost like a mystery on finding out who this boy is and why he was created. My question is who is the person taking care of Matt? Did she adopt him or was she appointed by someone to look after him?
ReplyDeleteI agree with Viren this sounds like a very interesting book. I like that despite his condition, and the fact that he's different makes him more of a special character. The curiosity of why the boy was created leaves the reader to want to understand more. Questions like why was he the only one to survive? Who are the other Mateo's like him? Also why is he being held captive.
DeleteHi Hershell, This book sounds very interesting. Almost like a mystery on finding out who this boy is and why he was created. My question is who is the person taking care of Matt? Did she adopt him or was she appointed by someone to look after him?
ReplyDeletehersh... why does mateo have to stay in the house? Why was he created in a lab? While reading this post, it grabs my attention a lot. its sorta deep and a book that "you don't want to put down".. im looking forward to having more posts!
DeleteAs i read on i found out that Matteo was cloned by El patron because he uses all his clones in order to replace all of his organs that go bad overtime. As horrible as it sounds Matt was only created to expand the life of El Patron. Thus making it possible for him to be 143 years of age.
DeleteWassup Hersh, this book seems very interesting. I also want to know why out of everything he was made in a cow. For what reason does he have to stay in the house. I might have to check this book out.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds very interesting yet weird. This blog gets me thinking of many questions. How does Matt entertain himself while he's alone? Also, why was he created in a laboratory? Things like this makes me want to read more about this fascinating book. Keep me posted!
ReplyDeleteMatteo was created to replace any organs that goes bad in El patron. He is kept inside because he doesn't want anyone outside of the house to know what is going on. When Matt gets older he learns to sing and El patron requests that he sings to him every birthday. And when Matt's voice finally cracks, it meant that Matt was at an appropriate age to donate organs.
DeleteNot to copy off of everyone else but this books seems interesting. I've definitely never read anything like it. I'm confused on why he was developed in the stomach of a cow. Also I don't know why he has to stay inside the house. Overall this book interests me and is a must read.
ReplyDeleteWhy was Matteo created in the stomach of a cow? Also why does he have to stay in the house? This book seems really interesting but also very weird.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea why but I immediately thought of Frankenstein because Frankenstein was also created in a lab and it seems like Matteo was designed to be perfect, just like Frankenstein. This seems like an interesting read and though I'm not usually into science fiction novels, I think I'd pick something like this up.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of a book like this where the main character was created in a lab. I want to know the reason for creating Matt. This book seems a little strange, I don't know if I would be able to read it because I can't pull anything out of it that I can relate to so far. It does seem interesting though and I would like to know what happens at the end of the story. If Matt isn't real child I wonder why he is trusted to be alone, it makes me wonder if he was created with certain things that make him know what is and isn't acceptable on his own without having to be taught.
ReplyDeleteThis book seems very interesting. I'm curious as to what drew you to the book in the first place. You're summary was very descriptive it just raised similar questions that everyone else was discussing. Why was Matteo being born from the stomach of a cow? Why weren't the injections for Matteo? This book seems kind of confusing and im not sure if I could understand it enough to read.
ReplyDeleteThis book seems very interesting. I'm curious as to what drew you to the book in the first place. You're summary was very descriptive it just raised similar questions that everyone else was discussing. Why was Matteo being born from the stomach of a cow? Why weren't the injections for Matteo? This book seems kind of confusing and im not sure if I could understand it enough to read.
ReplyDeleteOnce Matteo was of age El patron wanted to have the surgery done from Matt. Celia was to attached to Matt to allow it. So she risked her life to help him escape along with the help of Maria, Matt successfully escapes the house of the Scorpion, El Patron. I really really liked this book because it was so suspenseful and it just made me want the best for the character throughout the whole story.
ReplyDelete